My Photo
Name:

I am a Professor of Operations Research (OR) in Monterey, CA, with interests in optimization modeling and millitary OR. Since April 2005, my focus has been on combatting cancer. This log is about my battle and the people helping me fight it. The beautiful loving woman beside me is my wife Pascale, the strongest pillar of my team.

Saturday, January 27, 2007

Good Result

Great results yesterday after a couple of not-so-much-fun months: my tumors have shrunk significantly since November! They had grown during the chemo vacation of September-October, The vacation was cut short from the six months originally anticipated due to the growth. I have no regrets about the vacation. I gained needed weight during that time and I believe it increased my ability to endure chemo.

Thanks to all for the many prayers, visualizations and kind thoughts. There is no way to say how grateful I am.

Believe it or not, I am teaching, with some help from my great colleagues.

I hope to fill in details and end the five-month blog hiatus before long.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Rick,
I'm a reader of Lex's over at NEPTUNUS LEX and I just wanted to send you a note, wishing you the very best in your battle with cancer. I also want to add my most fervent Praise to God and a testimony of the Power of Prayer.

Similar to you, my wife was diagnosed with cancer last year, ovarian stage 3a, in July. She had been called in to her ob/gyn after a "shadow" had shown up on an ultra-sound done during her annual exam. (Sidebar: MD's in the U.S. do not do ultra-sounds routinely in an annual exam; it's vital for women to ask for this test!)

We had just returned from an Alaskan cruise and were in the best of spirits until then, followed by a CAT scan to confirm the worst of fears. That's when God first intervened on her behalf: my wife's doctor called a leading Seattle physician who does research in ovarian cancer as a specialty. God knew then and we were later to learn of a vacancy in the research doc's program, just created with 2 days to spare.

Mary Margaret was admitted under the care of a team of doctors (Univ. of WA, Swedish Hospital, and Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center) within minutes; an appointment was made and she was in. Once examined, my wife and I were waiting in the doc's office when his surgical nurse came in, saying yet another vacancy in the doc's schedule had just appeared and my wife could have surgery in 4 days!

Six months of chemo and thousands of prayers later, she was declared to be in remission in January, 2007.
Prayer is magnificent! It allows us to communicate with our Creator. Prayer and God has given my wife clean and clear reports. With your permission, we'll pray for you, as I know your friends and family have been.

God works wonders and heals people every day, we know that! My wife's experience was a good one, considering, from the bitter beginning to the wonderful strength she's regaining with every day. Pray hard... He's there for us in our times of need; we know God answers prayer.

11:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Popped over from NEPTUNUS LEX. Best of luck to you.

9:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home