My Photo
Name:

I am a Professor of Operations Research (OR) in Monterey, CA, with interests in optimization modeling and millitary OR. Since April 2005, my focus has been on combatting cancer. This log is about my battle and the people helping me fight it. The beautiful loving woman beside me is my wife Pascale, the strongest pillar of my team.

Thursday, April 21, 2005

First dispatch from the cancer trenches


I have been so lucky to hear from so many who have showered kindness and concern. It is difficult to give everyone timely news in a personal way. I love to receive calls -- can't promise to take every call, but I am trying to get back to as many as I can.

A lot has happened in an amazingly short time. It was not much more than one week from the time I complained to my doctor about low energy to the time she had collected the right clues for the colon cancer with liver matastisis to be identified. And only another week or so went by till I got my first chemotherapy treatment yesterday. It was a long session in the oncologist's office. Pascale and I got there at 8 and did not leave till about 5:30. The first dosing is larger and has to be given slower, so as to be on the alert for reactions, which fortunately were negligible. I feel very good. The nurses were great in taking every step to minimize the side effects. In fact, that evening, shortly after we returned, Pascale and I enjoyed a short walk on the beach and an excellent movie (In My Country with Samuel Jackson and Juliette Binoche, concerning the Truth and Reconciliation Hearings in South Africa).

Speaking of Pascale, I should say that no one should ever have to endure an ordeal like this without the comforting support and love she has provided without fail. My illness was such a surprise to us both, but imagine what it must be like for her, only a few months after she moved to Monterey for us to start our life together. For those who don't know, we met on September 12, 2001, through a sequence of unexpected events, the most important being the tragic attack on 9/11.

Next week I will be getting iron thrown into the cocktail of healing agents and vitamins that I am getting. That should help with energy. Overall, I am confident that I have a great team of local doctors, led by oncologist Dr. Roger Shiffman. Roger has sought and received consultation about my case from professors at USC, Stanford and UCSF, and from my niece who is a brilliant young oncologist in Philadelphia. Roger is a master at treating the whole patient. I feel very fortunate to be in his care. The surgeon, Dr. Kajikuri, who implanted the portocath in my chest on Saturday did a perfect job, without any bruising. The portocath creates a simple painless valve for extraction of blood samples and insertion of medications. No more vein sticks!

CHOMP, as we call our local hospital, is a very richly endowed private hospital with great docs, great facilities and abundant services. One of the services is a cancer wellness class. One of the key points they teach is to visualize. Visualize the healthy energtic Rick I know. Visualize the healing agents soaring through my body, seeking out cancer cells and obliterating them. (It is hard to call it "chemo" when you put such a positive spin on it!) The teacher also says that when people ask what they can do to help, ask them to do the same visualizations of the healthy Rick and the soaring healing agents. If you are not adverse to this kind of California new-age-y stuff, please join me in visualizing. We are going to beat this thing! Thank you again for all your kindness. I wish you all the best.



13 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks, Rick and Pascale, for sharing this with all of us who love and root for you! Ben

6:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I will be happy to visualize along with you! new-age or not, there's plenty of medical research to justify its use.

Kindest regards,
Mary Gillies, RN

8:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I came across your blog by accident, but we know there are no accidents........ I call visualization "prayer" and have seen first hand its miraculous efficacy. I'm sending one up for you tonight. God bless.

12:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Rick and Pascale:

Thanks for the courage to share this with us. This battle requires courage and you have it in spades!

Thinking of you,
Ariela

4:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Rick and Pascale - I'm so happy for you. Thanks for sharing your thoughts and the wedding pictures. It's such a romantic story...you will be telling it for years and years to come... Lots of love, Rachel

5:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

When Lance Armstrong was asked how he beat cancer and won the tour de France, he replied that he was surrounded by people who believed he could do it. From your blog it is clear that you have an Armstrong cocoon of your own, of which I am proud to be a member. I can't wait to go running on the beach with you when this is over.

Sam

5:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Rick,

Ray forwarded your site to me, which I have just finished reading. Beautifully done. Good stuff on so many levels.

I just finished a ceremony for you on my land in a hemlock grove with the sound of the stream and the joy of life from the song of birds surrounding your essense of spirit present in the circle I created from the bark of my healing tree and herbs from the land. The herbs and a piece of the bark will be sent today to a shaman I met at Esalen. He will add to my gift, his gifts of healing and ceremony, making a medicine pouch for you. Mine goes in the mail to him today, hopefully his will follow shortly thereafter. (I will enclose your address.)

With love and respect to you and Pascale. Judith Elaine

7:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Rick, and Pascale as well,

It was an unexpected pleasure to see you at Home Depot the other day. You've been through so many changes, I didn't recognize you at first, but find you to be now the same strong, self-effacing, enthusiastic Rick I've known before.

You will remain in my thoughts and prayers. David

2:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Prof. R

I’m sorry it has taken so long to contact you. I must say that you have been in my thoughts everyday since our last class more than six months ago. I’m happy for both you and you lovely bride.

My wife, who had surgery last fall, opened my eyes to what is truly important in my life; family and friends. So it is with great admiration that I pass along a few words of encouragement. Continue smiling and stay strong.

To say the least my schedule is very busy these days, especially since assuming command and returning back home to live with my family from my most recent three year tour without them. I recently returned from a short emergent trip to the Middle East and I’m squeezing as much time as a can to keep family and friends as a part of my daily routine. I have been beating myself up for not taking time to produce a CD of my favorite songs that I wanted to share with both you and Pascale. You can never have enough music.

Prof R. please take comfort in the thought that you made a lasting impression on me and although you haven’t met my wife and family they heard loads of accolades from me and we all wish you and your family all the blessings you can manage.

Kirk

2:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Professor Rosenthal,

This comes as a great surprise but I am confident you will be back up on your feet and teaching in short order. I'm in town next week and not sure if you are taking vistors, but I would love to stop by and say hello.

Nigel Nurse

8:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Rick,
Congratulations on your recent marriage, the photos of you and Pascale are great.
Thanks to Lisa Deas I have been made aware of your recent surgery and your blog. I wish you both the best for a speedy recovery and a long life together. Take care,
Chuck Ledwin

3:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Professor Rosenthal,
Thank you for sharing your blog. It was great to hear from you. albeit under less than optimal circumstances. I wish you all the best, and am confident that with your attitude and the family and friends surrounding you, you will win this battle. You are in my prayers.

As an update for you, I am finishing up my XO tour in Florida and headed to Norfolk at the end of the summer.

Congratulations on your marriage.

Best of luck,
Scott

5:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Who knows where to download XRumer 5.0 Palladium?
Help, please. All recommend this program to effectively advertise on the Internet, this is the best program!

2:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home